How to Find the Best Urologist for Your Condition
We all know how important our kidneys (and urinary system) are to our overall health, and as a man you probably know that a urologist is the type of doctor you should see for anything revolving around men’s health and sexual issues. Whatever your health condition is, you will want to see a urologist who is an expert in diagnosing and treating that issue.
Let’s talk about some of the key qualities to look for when searching for the best urologist for you, and where you can go in Charlotte and Concord to see a doctor who has specialized in men’s health for many years.
Does the Urologist Specialize in a Specific Area of Men’s Health?
While some urologists treat general urinary tract issues, others specialize in areas such as:
- Male infertility, for problems with conceiving a child or sexual health
- Neurourology, for urinary issues due to nervous system conditions (such as multiple sclerosis)
- Pediatric urology, for urinary problems in children
- Urologic oncology, for cancers of the urinary system
Since you should not have to diagnose yourself, it is best to see a urologist who has years of experience in treating many different types of urological problems and men’s health issues. Look for a doctor who has a comprehensive background.
Consider Referrals and Reviews of Urologists in Your Area
The best way to start your search would be to gather information. You can do this by asking for a referral or recommendation from your primary care physician. They’ll be able to recommend a urologist who can serve your specific medical needs.
You can also ask friends, any nearby family members, and colleagues if they have any recommendations for a good urologist. Plus, you can perform a simple online search for patient reviews, but be careful of putting too much credence in these anonymous reviews.
Look for Board Certification in Urology
Becoming a licensed, board-certified urologist has many strict requirements:
- Complete a bachelor’s degree and medical school.
- Finish five or six years of residency, which is hands-on medical training – usually at a hospital or medical center. The first year of residency is called an internship.
- Participate in at least one year of fellowship training (this is optional for a doctor, but indicates thorough training in a given specialty).
- Pass a licensing exam for the state in which they wish to practice medicine.
- Earn board certification from the American Board of Urology.
Check Insurance Coverage
Choose a urologist who accepts your insurance plan. This will ensure that you minimize your out-of-pocket expenses.
If the doctor does not accept your insurance, call the medical practice and ask about out-of-network coverage or whether they take patients who do not have insurance. If applicable, ask about the minimum fee for a urology visit.
Urology Specialists in Concord, Mint Hill, and Charlotte, NC
As one of the top urologists in the Charlotte and Concord area who is focused on men’s health, Dr. Richard Natale will be able to accurately assess your condition and recommend the appropriate treatment. Having medical treatment is always the patient’s decision, and Dr. Natale will explain all of your options.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Natale, contact our friendly staff today at (704) 786-5131. You can also fill out our easy-to-use online appointment request form. We look forward to serving you!