How Successful Are Vasectomies?

Over 500,000 vasectomies are performed in the United States each year. This surgical procedure is a highly effective form of permanent contraception, with an almost 100 percent success rate in preventing pregnancy.

Unlike a birth-control pill or a condom, a vasectomy is not something that you must remember. However, a vasectomy takes time to work.

Three months after having a vasectomy, about 80 percent of men who get the procedure are declared sperm-free. Therefore, the remaining 20 percent of men still have sperm left, so it’s best to pay a visit to your urologist for a semen analysis to find out if you’re in the clear. If a man gets a woman pregnant after a vasectomy, it is most likely due to having sex without protection too soon after the operation.

How a Vasectomy Works

Thanks to advances in medical technology, a vasectomy may now be performed without the use of a scalpel. The newer, minimally invasive method carries with it fewer complications, and it takes as little as 20 minutes to perform.

Due to the minimally invasive nature of the surgery, pain is also less and healing is much faster than before. You may return to work a couple of days after the procedure, although it is recommended that you avoid heavy lifting or intense exercise for at least a week.

A vasectomy is typically performed by making a small incision in the center of the scrotum to access the vas deferens, which is the duct that allows the sperm to flow into the urethra. Part of it is then removed, and the ends are clipped in order to prevent the delivery of the sperm to the ejaculatory ducts.

During a vasectomy, your doctor will place you under sedation, so you do not have to worry about pain. If pain is a big concern that makes you anxious about the procedure, do express this to your doctor so he can make adjustments accordingly.

After a Vasectomy

Your urologist will schedule a follow-up analysis a few months after your vasectomy. The purpose of this is to check for sperm in your semen and thereby confirm whether the surgery is successful. Your doctor will advise you if it’s now safe to have unprotected sex.

However, it’s okay to have protected sex at least a week after your vasectomy – just be sure to use additional forms of contraception to avoid pregnancy. If you experience any pain or discomfort long after the operation, let your doctor know.

There are no known negative long-term effects of a vasectomy, and it does not affect your hormones or libido in any way. It does not cause low testosterone levels or erectile dysfunction.

Where Can I Get a Vasectomy?

If you are interested in getting a vasectomy or if you have any questions, contact Dr. Richard Natale and our team at Carolina Urology Partners. Dr. Natale will answer all of your questions and ease your concerns about it.

Dr. Natale is a board-certified urologist with a special interest in men’s health, and he is widely recognized in the Charlotte area as a top doctor. Fill out our simple appointment request form online, or call us at (704) 786-5131. We look forward to serving you.

Skip to content